Keep me posted

Our free email alerts service will help keep you connected to the things that matter to you.

Enter your email address to get started or to edit your account.

Who should pay Council Tax?

Generally, the person who is highest in the following list is liable to pay the Council Tax:

  • Resident freeholder, e.g. an owner occupier.
  • Resident leaseholder, e.g. an owner occupier who is paying a ground rent.
  • Resident statutory or secure tenant, e.g. a council or private tenant.
  • Resident licensee, e.g. the landlord of a public house who lives on the premises.
  • Other resident, e.g. a squatter.
  • Non-resident owner.

Note: Husbands and wives, partners and joint owners are liable to pay Council Tax. The bill will show all the names, although only one bill may be sent.

When the owner should pay

The owner is liable to pay the Council Tax in the following special cases:

  • House in multiple occupation, e.g. groups of bedsits which share washing and cooking facilities.
  • Care and nursing homes together with some hostels.
  • Convents.
  • Some  second homes.
  • Some vicarages .
  • Properties occupied by asylum seekers (from April 2000).         

Council Tax information leaflets

Keep me posted

Get email alerts about Council Tax