If you have information on illegal alcohol or tobacco trading
If you are aware of anyone trading alcohol or tobacco products illegally, please get in touch with the Alcohol and Tobacco Unit (ATU).
- Gary Baskott - 0151 225 2501.
- Jenny Coyle - 0151 225 3489.
Become a young volunteer
We regularly need young volunteers to help with our programme of age restricted products test purchases. Are you interested?
What the ATU does
The Alcohol and Tobacco Unit help to combat the illegal importation and distribution of alcohol and tobacco products by working with key agencies such as HM Revenues and Customers, Immigration Department and the Department of Work and Pensions.
The unit comprises of Liverpool Trading Standards Enforcement Officers and Merseyside Police Officers.
- To disrupt and eliminate criminal organisations by identifying, investigating and arresting offenders who deal in illegal and non duty paid alcohol and tobacco products.
- To conduct financial investigations in conjunction with ATU financial investigators in order to seize and deny further access to assets and funds utilised by criminal enterprises and organisations.
- To prevent criminal encroachment of the legitimate industries by organisations trafficking in counterfeit and non duty paid alcohol and tobacco products.
- To assist local agencies and other key partners in order to thoroughly investigate the importation and distribution of illegal and non duty paid tobacco products.
- To raise awareness of the harmful effects of alcohol and tobacco products on young people, peers and the community of Liverpool.
- To investigate and prosecute any person concerned in the sale or supply of alcohol or tobacco products to any child.
Report other trading standards issues
If you believe that a business or trader is in breach of trading standards, let us know.
Report a trading standards issue online