Death and bereavement benefits

Please see our Benefits advice page for advice, guidance and assistance with the full range of welfare benefits. You can also use the government's benefit calculators to find out how much Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support you may claim.

Liverpool Citizens Support Scheme

The Liverpool Citizens Support Scheme replaces community care grants and crisis loans which were provided by the Department for Works and Pensions. The scheme exists to support vulnerable people in urgent need who have no access to other support in the form of an Urgent Need Award or a Home Needs Award. Find out more about the Liverpool Citizens Support Scheme.

Funeral Payments

If you're on a low income and need help to pay for a funeral you're arranging, you may be able to get a Funeral Payment from the Social Fund. You might have to repay some or all of it from the estate of the person who died. Find out more about Funeral Payments.

Bereavement Allowance

After you're widowed you may be able to claim Bereavement Allowance, the taxable weekly benefit paid to you for up to 52 weeks from the date of death of your husband, wife or civil partner. Find out more about Bereavement Allowances. 

Bereavement Payment

If your husband, wife or civil partner has died you may be able to get Bereavement Payment, a one-off, lump-sum payment of £2,000 that's tax-free. Find out more about Bereavement Payments.

War Widow's or Widower's Pensions

Is a tax-free pension you may be entitled to if your wife, husband or civil partner died as a result of their service in Her Majesty's Armed Forces or during a time of war. Find out more about War Widow's or Widower's Pensions.

Widowed Parent's Allowance

If you’re a parent whose husband, wife or civil partner has died and you have at least one child who you receive Child Benefit for, you may be able to get Widowed Parent's Allowance (WPA). Find out about Widowed Parent’s Allowance.



Come2gether logo