Help and support
Although Universal Credit is run by the DWP, not the council, we can provide the following help and support.
- Help to pay your council tax
- Free school meals
- Help to pay your rent if there is a shortfall in the housing element of your Universal Credit.
The Citizens Advice can also provide the following support:
- Help to make and manage your claim online
- Help and advice if you are struggling to manage your money.
Managing your money
The Money Advice Service has a useful money manager tool for Universal Credit claimants to help your money go further, and advice such as opening the right bank account to keeping on top of bills.
Emergency help while you wait for your first payment
Emergency help may be available while you are waiting for your first Universal Credit payment, depending on your circumstances.
- Emergency help with food, household necessities and utility costs from our Liverpool Citizens Support Scheme. This scheme is not intended to provide help with housing costs, debts, or to be an alternative to Universal Credit advance payments.
- Food parcels from a foodbank - you will need a food bank voucher from a referral agency.
Once your Universal Credit is in payment, you can apply for a discretionary housing payment if your Universal Credit includes help with housing costs and you are struggling to pay your rent.
Accessing the internet
If you don't have internet access at home you can get free access at these venues.
Take with you:
- Your National Insurance number
- Details of the bank, building society or Post Office account you want Universal Credit paid into
- Your tenancy agreement if you have one
- Details of your savings or other capital
- Details of any income that’s not from work (an insurance plan for example)
- Details of any other benefits you’re getting.
Remember, you might also need these details for your partner and other people who live in your home.
Never used the internet before?
If you don't know how to use the internet or need extra support to get online there are advisors on hand at these venues.