How to claim Universal Credit
You must apply online for Universal Credit. The DWP has a short guide which explains how to make your claim.
Before you claim
You'll need to have some information ready before you claim:
- National Insurance number
- Email address
- Phone number.
- Your address
- Your landlord’s address
- Your tenancy agreement (if you have one)
- Your monthly rent.
- Your bank, building society or credit union account details
- Details of any income or benefits you get
- Details of any savings or other capital you have.
Need help and support with your claim?
Your local job centre will be able to advise you on Universal Credit, payments and budgeting support. If you find it difficult to manage this new monthly payment please speak to your work coach.
If you need financial help before your UC payment is due and meet certain conditions, you can ask for an advanced payment. Please note that future payments will be reduced to pay for this advance.
Universal Credit Helpline: 0800 328 5644 - this is now a freephone number.
Your local Citizens Advice can also provide help and support.