Who can claim Universal Credit

If you’re thinking of claiming benefits for the first time, you might need to apply for Universal Credit, depending on where you live.

Residents in the following areas making a new claim for benefits, including housing costs, must now do so through Universal Credit:

  • L20
Exceptions: You will continue to get help through Housing Benefit if you have three or more children, live in supported accommodation or are of Pension Credit age.

Remember, you must still claim separately for Council Tax Support and Free School Meals as this is not included in your Universal Credit payment.

If you live elsewhere in Liverpool

From 1st January 2018, no new claims can be made in a Universal Credit live area (Liverpool) until the full service is rolled out to your Job Centre Plus.

This means unless you live in the L20 area and need to make a claim for benefits and help with housing costs, you will need to make a claim for a legacy benefit and housing benefit, until your Job Centre Plus becomes a full service area. 

If you’re not sure whether you should be claiming Universal Credit or existing benefits, use the UC postcode checker to see which elements have been rolled out in your area:


Come2gether logo