Liverpool Citizens Support Scheme

The Liverpool Citizens Support Scheme exists to help vulnerable people in short term crisis to meet the needs for food and essential items or to maintain your independence in the community.

Funding for the scheme is limited and we consider the total number of people applying and what funds are available when making a decision.

There is normally a limit of two awards within  a 12 month period, beginning from the date the first award is made. If you complete a single application and, as a result, receive both a Home Needs and Urgent Needs Award, this will only count as one award.

Am I eligible for support?

You must be over 16, live in Liverpool or be moving to the area. You should be on a low income or in receipt of any of the following benefits:

  • Income Support.
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA).
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).
  • Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit only).
  • Tax Credits.
  • Personal Independence Payments.
  • Universal Credit.

AND you are either leaving care or require support to stay in the community or you don’t have enough money to meet your (or you family’s) immediate needs after an emergency or crisis.

What type of help is available?

Urgent Need Award

This covers food, essential items for children, essential clothing, fuel costs or help where you have suffered an emergency or crisis, for example, a fire or flood.

Home Needs Award

This covers furniture, new white goods, domestic appliances and essentials such as bedding and crockery to help maintain or establish a home. For example, you may be leaving care or prison, suffered a disaster (such as a fire or flood) or have had to move due to violence, fear of violence or other reasons.

We will try to provide all new items where possible, depending on the level of the award.

Home Needs Awards also support people who have moved as a consequence of benefit reductions associated with welfare reform (except where Discretionary Housing Payments are available to meet the need) or are otherwise at risk of losing their home as a result of welfare reform.

How do I apply?

You can apply Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm by calling 0800 456 1523 or 0151 233 3053. 0800 numbers are free of charge from landlines and mobiles.

The advisor will ask you to confirm your identity and address. If we need further information from you we will get in touch using the details you supply with your application.

How long will it take?

Whenever possible, decisions on Urgent Need Awards will be made within two working days and within 10 days for a Home Needs Award. Sometimes we will need to ask for more information and this may delay a decision.

If I am unhappy with the decision what can I do?

You can ask for the decision to be reviewed:

  • By email
  • In writing to Liverpool Citizen Support Scheme, Revenues and Benefits Service, Cunard Building, Water Street, L3 1AH.
  • By calling the Contact Centre helpline on 0800 456 1523 or 0151 233 3053 Monday-Friday 8am-8pm.

How will I receive an award?

Urgent Needs Awards

These are issued in the form of a voucher sent by email or a text to your mobile.  Vouchers can be cashed in one of the many PayPoint shops throughout the city.  If you don't have access to a mobile or email account, you can collect the voucher from the One Stop Shop in the City Centre, Kirkdale, Garston, Old Swan or Wavertree.

Energy vouchers for fuel costs will be issued in the form of a printed voucher.

Home Needs Awards

These are supplied by the Furniture Resource Centre who will contact you to arrange free delivery. Delivery is normally within five working days from the date of order and any packaging will be removed.

If you have been awarded quality used goods you can select the item direct from Bulky Bobs Furniture World, 129-139 London Road. Items will be delivered for free and have a three month warranty.

Installation is included for gas/electric cookers. We can arrange furniture assembly for you – please tell the advisor to include this on your application or mention it to us when we contact you about your claim.

What if items become damaged or broken?

All white goods are new and will come with a 12 month warranty. You should complete and return the warranty to the manufacturer when your goods arrive to validate the warranty. Failure to do this may result in items not being replaced if they are faulty.

Report damages or faults with any other new items to the Furniture Resource Centre on 0151 702 0550 or email

Further information

Come2gether logo