The City Council has two crematoria and six cemeteries. Please contact us for information regarding burial plots.
Anfield Crematorium opened in 1896 and is in fact the fourth oldest crematorium in the country. It is Grade II* listed. The building itself is now a listed building and is set within a rose garden of remembrance. Chapel times are available every 30 minutes.
Springwood Crematorium opened in 1975 and is set within landscaped gardens. There are two chapels available for services, which take place at 30 minutes intervals.
Allerton Cemetery has a natural woodland burial area with mature trees and a variety of natural plants and grasses. Graves are excavated to accommodate one full earth burial, so as not to damage tree roots. An adjacent grave may be purchased in reserve where family members wish to be buried together. Burials in this area can only take place in biodegradable coffins.
The grave is marked with an inscribed marker with an inscription being chosen by family members. This is as opposed to traditional headstones, which are not permitted in the woodland area. The principle behind the natural burial option is to provide an environmentally friendly alternative. It is not intended to re-use the graves in future. Families can therefore be assured that at no point will the remains be disturbed.
This cemetery is Grade II listed.
Long Lane Liverpool L9 9AG
Toxteth cemetery is Grade II listed.
Yew Tree is not managed by Liverpool City Council but the Archdiocese of Liverpool. For enquiries relating to Yew Tree Cemetery you should contact the main office at: