Relief and reductions
Discretionary revaluation relief
The discretionary revaluation relief provides support to businesses that face the steepest increase in their business rates as a result of the 2017 revaluation. The relief is cash limited based on funding from central government and is subject to state aid limits.
The relief is effective from 1 April 2017 and will be provided over four years. The amount of relief provided will gradually reduce over this four year period.
You may be eligible if:
- Your business rates have significantly increased as a result of the 2017 revaluation by 12.5 per cent or more.
- Your rateable value is less than £200,000.
- The increase is causing the business financial hardship.
- Granting the relief is in the interests of the city and local community.
We will take into account the following criteria when determining whether an award can be made:
- The impact on the council's budget position and the consequential effects upon services and taxpayers.
- The financial position of the applicant.
- The extent to which the organisation is likely to be financially sustainable.
- The employment and other economic, social and environmental benefits provided by the organisation to the city and the relevant locality in which the business is located
How to apply