Animal movement licence

Legislation exists to control the movement of livestock.  The control of animal movements is an important part in the prevention of animal diseases, such as Foot and Mouth Disease.  The movement of cattle, sheep, pigs, goats and deer must be carried out strictly in accordance with the relevant laws and general licence conditions.

How to apply

If you intend to move sheep, goats, pigs or deer to a holding in Liverpool, you must send a movement record to the Public Protection Division of Liverpool City Council.

The applicant must be the owner of the animals or their agent.

Please note an online application is not available for this process.

Please download, complete and return the relevant application form below by post or fax to Public Protection.


There is no charge for movement licences

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply. For animal health reasons it is important that controls are in place at all times.


There is no appeal process. All valid applications will be processed.

Processing timescales

Movement records will normally be processed within three days of receipt. However, it may be necessary to contact the reporter to obtain further details