Horse riding establishment licence
You must be suitably qualified to hire out horses or ponies for riding instruction, and meet the following conditions:
- Horses must be kept in good condition, maintain good health, and in all respects be physically fit for the purpose.
- Feet must be properly trimmed and shod, if appropriate.
- Suitable accommodation for horses must be available at all times and be of the relevant size and construction with appropriate lighting, ventilation, drainage and cleanliness.
- Horses kept at grass shall have adequate pasture, shelter, water and supplementary feeds when required.
- Other horses should be adequately supplied with suitable food, drink, bedding material and be exercised, groomed, rested and visited at suitable intervals.
- All reasonable steps must be taken to prevent the spread of infectious or contagious disease and that veterinary first aid equipment is kept at the premises.
- Appropriate steps are taken to ensure the protection and extrication of horses in the case of fire.
- Provide adequate storage for bedding, stable equipment and saddlery.
- All equipment should be in good repair and fit for purpose.
How to apply
You can apply and pay online for a new or renewal licence.
When we have received your application and fee we will arrange to carry out the relevant inspections to make sure your premises meet the required standards.
If you are making a new application you will need to appear before the council’s Licensing Committee.
The annual fee is £144, which you must submit with your application, plus an additional veterinary inspection fee.