Budgets and finance
Statement of accounts
At the end of each financial year, we are required by the Accounts and Audit Regulations 2015 to publish a Statement of Accounts setting out the financial position of the council and the transactions that have been made during the year.
You have the right to inspect these accounts, and the associated documents, in accordance with the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014.
Public inspection of the draft accounts
After being approved by the council’s responsible financial officer as a true and fair view, draft accounts for the year are published on this page, along with the council’s annual governance statement. A simplified summary set of financial statements are also provided.
The accounts are then be made available for public inspection, along with the supporting accounting records and associated documents, for 30 working days. The inspection period for 2016/17 was from 29th June 2017 - 9th August 2017.
During this period, local electors can ask the external auditors questions about the draft accounts, or raise objections to them.
- Download the notice of public rights for 2016/17.
- Download the notice of auditor appointment.
- Find out more about your right to inspect the council’s accounts on the National Audit Office’s website.
Publication of the final audited accounts
Each summer our external auditors conduct a full and detailed examination of the draft accounts and report their findings to the council’s Audit and Governance Committee, which then approves the audited accounts. The final audited accounts are then published on this page, along with the audit opinion, by 30th September.
The auditors issue a final certificate of completion of the audit separately which is published here online when available, together with a public notice explaining the rights of local electors to inspect the accounts and audit opinion/certificate.
The audits for the 2015/16 and 2016/17 financial statements have not yet been formally concluded by the external auditors (Grant Thornton UK LLP) so the final audit certificates for these years are not yet available.
Statement of accounts library
The accounts for the most recent financial year and final audited accounts for the previous five years, with a summary of each, are published below.
- Statement of Accounts 2016/17 (Audited)
- Summary statement of accounts 2016/17
- Statement of Accounts 2015/16 (Audited)
- Public notice of completion of audit: 2014 2015
- Statement of accounts: 2014 2015
- Summary statement of accounts: 2014 2015
- Statement of accounts: 2013 2014
- Summary of statement of accounts: 2013 2014
- Statement of accounts: 2012 2013
- Summary statement of accounts: 2012 2013
- Audit certification: 2012 2013
- Statement of accounts: 2011 2012
- Summary of statement of accounts: 2011 2012
- Audit certification: 2011 2012
- Public notice of completion of audit: 2011 2012