Councillors and committees
How the council works
The council is made up of 90 locally elected councillors who make decisions on how to improve local services on behalf of local people. The way in which councillors make decisions is informed by the ideas of the political parties they represent.
Liverpool now has an elected Mayor. To find out more, visit the Mayor pages.
The Lord Mayor is chosen by the council and is the city's first citizen and representative.
The leader of the council is currently elected by the council and leads the cabinet.
There are a number of committees and panels which all have different functions:
- Select Committees.
- District Committees.
- Scrutiny Panels.
- Standards Committees.
- Regulatory Committees.
- Other committees.
After 8 May, the elected mayor may revisit the committee structure for the council.
The day to day management of the council and its services is carried out the Management Team.
- Ged Fitzgerald, Chief Executive.
- Colette O'Brien, Interim Director of Children and Young People's Services.
- Ron Odunaiya, Director of Community Services.
- Nick Kavanagh, Director Regeneration and Employment.
- Samih Kalakeche, Director of Adult Services and Health.
- Becky Hellard, Director Finance and Resources.
As part of our partnership working arrangements, the following are also members of the council's management structure.
- Sandra Davies, Director of Public Health.
Each service area covers individual objectives under the council's key aims.
Get Email alerts about elections