Public protection service standards
We aim to ensure that our customers receive the best possible service from the Public Protection Unit (environmental health, trading standards and pest control) by providing the following service standards.
- We will be courteous and helpful at all times.
- We will wear identity badges.
- We will give our workplace and name when we answer the telephone.
- We will use plain language.
- We will act with honesty, integrity, sensitivity and respect.
- On average we will answer all telephone calls within five rings.
- We will normally give advice to telephone or personal enquiries there and then.
- We will commence investigation of notified cases of food poisoning within 24 hours. Suspected cases will be investigated within 48 hours.
- We will respond to a report of a rat inside a premises within 24 hours, all other pest issues will receive a response within five working days.
- We will respond to a report of a defective drain within three working days.
- All other requests for service will be responded to within seven working days.
- In any event, we will reply to all letters within seven working days of receipt.
- We will reply to emails within 24 hours. We will send an acknowledgement to let you know what action we have taken, and tell you when we will be able to respond in full.
We will make available leaflets on a range of Environmental Health topics.
Privacy and confidentiality
We will treat all personal information about you in confidence. It will only be passed on with your agreement or where legally necessary and in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
- We will either translate any documents or arrange a translator if you need one.
- We will make information available on request in large print, in braille or on tape.
- We will arrange home visits if you are housebound or disabled.
We welcome your views on our service and appreciate your thoughts and opinions, good or bad. If you would like to comment on any aspect of our service please complete the council's have your say form.