Adults and older people

Residential homes and sheltered housing

Types of residential home

There are two types of residential home:

  • Care homes have trained staff offering similar care to that you would receive from relatives and friends in your own home.
  • Nursing homes provide the same level of care as care homes but also have trained nurses on duty to provide nursing care when you need it.

All residential homes in Liverpool are run privately.  Liverpool City Council no longer runs any residential homes.

I am thinking of moving into a residential home

If you or someone you care for is thinking about making a residential home your permanent place of residence, contact Careline in the first instance.  We can talk you through the assessment process and how to choose a home.

The Care Quality Commission website is also a good resource.  You can search for residential homes according to your needs, by location or whether you require nursing care.

Do I have to pay?

You may need to make a contribution towards the cost of living in a home, depending on your financial situation.  We will arrange a financial assessment to establish what costs, if any, you will need to pay.  We will also make sure you are receiving all the benefits that you are entitled to. See our paying for residential care page for more information.

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is accommodation for rent, which is specially designed for older people so they can live independently, with a range of communal facilities such as a lounge, laundry, hairdressing etc. Each sheltered scheme has a scheme manager and most have alarm systems.

For details on how to apply for a sheltered housing scheme, visit the housing section.

A to Z of services

Our free email alerts service will help keep you connected to the things that matter to you.