Make a complaint about a housing association

How to complain

The Housing Ombudsman Service (HOS) looks at complaints about registered providers of social housing, for example, housing associations and other landlords, managers, and agents. The service is free, independent and impartial.

However, the HOS only have the power to investigate a complaint after you have taken it all the way through the landlord's own formal complaints procedure.

This gives the landlord the chance to respond and try to put things right first. It is up to you to take your complaint through the landlord’s complaint procedure.