Liverpool City Centre Connectivity Scheme
Start date: September 2017.
End date: June 2019.
It’s estimated that in the ten-year period running up to 2023 the number of people visiting, living and working in Liverpool’s city centre will have grown 25%.
With this in mind, this scheme will focus on making walking and cycling the first choice for short journeys in the city centre. The work will also reduce car and bus traffic and make it easier and more enjoyable to get about.
The areas that are being considered for improvements under this scheme are:
- St George’s Plateau - a new event space.
- The Strand - a new four-lane highway with a cycleway, and improved pedestrian links between the waterfront and retail centre.
- New city bus hub near Queen Square bus station with bus routing that will cut congestion and pollution.
- New city coach park with an off-street facility and rest area for drivers.
- Canning Dock - four new bridges to link Salthouse Quay with Mann Island and open up land for future development.
- New entrance at Moorfields.
- Brownlow Hill - upgrade of the area and a new cycle link from Lime Street Station to the Knowledge Quarter.
- Dale Street - upgrade of the area and a new cycle link from Lime Street Station to Waterfront.
The LCCC scheme will receive £38.4m from the Local Growth Fund with local match funding of £6.3m.
Consultation on the scheme
The public consultation on this scheme was carried out between Tuesday 11th October and Friday 14th October 2016.
Public and stakeholder meetings were held in the city during this period and we had 838 responses to our online consultation survey. We will be publishing the consultation findings here on Monday 20th February 2017.
Meanwhile, you may want to view the documents below which were presented at both the public and stakeholder meetings as part as the consultation exercise. These documents provide a vision for each of the changes proposed to be introduced across the city, to deliver the ambition on making walking and cycling the first choice for short journeys.
- View the proposed work for Brownlow Hill
- View the proposed work for Canning Dock
- View the proposed work for City Bus Hub
- View the proposed work for Lime Street
- View the proposed work for Moorfields train station entrance
- View the proposed work for The Strand
- View the proposed work for Victoria Street
- Liverpool City Centre Connectivity Phase 2 plan