Start date: May 2016
End date: May 2017
The Sustainable Transport Enhancement Package (STEP) Scheme focuses on the A57 - Kensington, Prescot Road and East Prescot Road - and will improve traffic signals along the route, reduce journey times for all users and create a better link between Liverpool city centre, Knowsley and St Helens.
Growth Deals has provided £1.2m funding for the scheme.
As part of the scheme the following improvements will be made:
- New pedestrian crossing signals will be installed which detect pedestrians’ movements and allow traffic to flow immediately after they have crossed the road.
- New cheaper to power and maintain LED traffic lights will be installed.
- Remote technology which controls traffic lights on the route will be integrated with and Merseytravel’s bus tracking system. This will enable us to change the phasing of the traffic lights and get buses to their destinations faster.
- 300 street lights on this route will be upgraded to LED quality.
- Traffic and road markings will be made clearer so that waiting restrictions are more consistent. They will then be enforced if they are continually ignored.