Planning for householders
Building regulations approval
Planning permission and building regulations approval are two separate things. Building regulations apply to building work (see list below) and are complex. The advice on this page is not a definitive source of legal information.
If you have any questions or want to apply for approval, please contact us. Our Building Control Team ensures that building work in the city complies with building regulations - except where an approved inspector has been employed.
Meeting the requirements of the building regulations is the responsibility of the person carrying out the building work and, if they are not the same person, the owner of the building.
More detailed guidance and information about building regulations and your responsibility as a member of the public are available on the building regulations pages of the Planning Portal.
You may also find our Householders Guide to Extending your Home or Building Regulations and the Party Wall Act guidance note useful.
What is building work?
The following types of project amount to 'building work':
- Structural alterations to the building.
- The erection or extension of a building including conversion of a loft and garage conversions.
- An alteration project involving work which will temporarily or permanently affect the ongoing compliance of the building, service or fitting with the requirements relating to structure, fire, or access to and use of buildings.
- When installing replacement windows using a builder or window company that is not registered with the relevant Competent Person Schemes.
- The installation or extension of a service or fitting which is controlled under the regulations.
- The insertion of insulation into a cavity wall and replacement of more than 25% roof covering.
- The underpinning of the foundations of a building.
- When you want to change the building's fundamental use.
- Alterations to the drainage system of a building.
Applying and giving notice online
Please follow the process in sequence:
Before completing this form, please refer to the relevant fee schedule below to calculate the fee you need to pay.
Please submit this form after your application has been processed and when works have commenced.
Please submit this form within five days of completion of work/occupation. Or contact us to arrange a final inspection.
Please submit this notice six weeks before the proposed date of commencement of the demolition.
- Application for Building Regulations Approval
- Notice of Commencement of Demolition
- Notice of Commencement
- Notice of Completion
Fees and notes
You can now pay your fees using your debit or credit card by telephoning 0151 233 3021. Please quote the site of your application and your application number (if known).
- Schedule 1 New dwellings charges
- Schedule 2 Domestic extensions alterations charges
- Schedule 3 Non domestic extensions alterations charges
- Explanatory notes
- Scheme of charges
Regulation 38 and 29
Regulation 38 - Declaration of passing on fire safety information
States that all fire safety information relating to a specific project must be passed on to the 'responsible person' before a completion certificate can be issued.
Regulation 29 - Declaration of giving an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
States that the person carrying out the work must provide the owner of the building with an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) and inform the Local Authority of this. A completion certificate can only be issued once the Local Authority are satisfied that all requirements have been met.