Keep me posted

Our free email alerts service will help keep you connected to the things that matter to you.

Enter your email address to get started or to edit your account.

SEN in schools

Supporting children with special needs

Teachers have a responsibility to identify children who have special educational needs (SEN) and provide them with the extra support they need to include them in mainstream education. This may include help with:

  • Learning and communicating.
  • Behaviour.
  • Hearing, visual or physical ability.

What to do if you think your child needs help 

If your child has not been identified and you feel they need additional support, speak to your child’s class teacher and express your concerns. Depending on your child’s needs, the teacher will:

  • Provide additional support known as School Action. They will draw up an individual education plan with you, which will be reviewed regularly to meet the changing needs of your child.
  • Ask for help from specialists such as an educational psychologist or speech therapist if they feel that School Action is not enough. We call this School Action Plus.
  • Refer your child for a statutory assessment of SEN if they identify long term learning needs. The assessment may involve observation, tests, medicals and interviews with your child and SEN specialists.  If we assess that your child has SEN, we will send you a statement of special educational needs. This outlines your child’s educational needs, what help they should get and how they should get it – whether it be attending a special school or medical provision – in order to meet their long term educational needs.

Parent Partnership Service

If you think your child has SEN or you have been informed they have SEN you can contact the Parent Partnership Service. All contact is treated in confidence.

They provide information and support to help you make informed decisions about your child’s education and make sure that your views and concerns are represented.