Paying for non-residential care

Once you've had a needs assessment and are receiving community care services, you may be asked to contribute towards the cost of your non-residential care.

Whether or not you need to contribute depends on your financial circumstances and we will carry out a financial assessment to work out how much your contribution might be.

Financial assessment

As part of your financial assessment, you will be offered a benefit check by a member of the Benefits Maximisation Service who will make sure that you are receiving all the benefits to which you are entitled.

When the assessment is complete, we will write to you to confirm how much you can contribute, if anything. Until we are able to confirm all your financial details, we may provide you with an initial assessment based on information available to us from the Department for Work and Pensions. All information will remain confidential and is only used for the purpose of collecting your contribution. If your income is below a certain amount, we will not ask you to contribute towards the cost of your care.

The council's charging framework complies with the Care Act 2014 which aims to provide a reasonable and fair charging framework for all service users. The council's policy is currently under review and will be published here when agreed.

You can refuse to have a financial assessment.  However, if you don't you will be classed as a self-funder and will be expected to pay the maximum contribution towards the cost of your care, regardless of your financial circumstances.

How do I pay?

We will write to you to tell you how much you will be expected to contribute towards the cost of your care and enclose your payment swipe card.

As the contribution you pay might not always be the same, for example if you are away from home and do not require home care for a few days, we will send you a statement each month setting out how much you need to pay.

We will review how much you contribute each year or if there are any changes to the benefits rate. You can also request a review of your charges at any time by contacting Careline.

Non-payment of contributions

The council has a debt recovery policy which is implemented if you do not pay your charges for four weeks. Non-payment may result in court action.

If you cannot pay your contribution because there has been a change to your circumstances, please let us know as soon as possible and we will do a further financial assessment.

If you are unwilling to pay your contribution we can discuss this with you. In both cases, please contact the Income and Assessment Team on Freephone 0800 0283707 or 0151 233 3051.

If you think the contribution you have been asked to pay is unfair, you can also submit an appeal.

How to appeal

You can send your appeal in writing to: Income and Assessment Team, Municipal Buildings, Dale Street, Liverpool, L2 2DH.

We will write to you to acknowledge your appeal and send details of the appeals procedure. You can also request a copy of the appeals procedure by calling Freephone 0800 0283707 or 0151 233 3051 or emailing

Please note 0800 Freephone numbers are normally free of charge from landlines. Charges may apply from mobile phone providers. Please contact your service provider for more information.