Living independently at home

Safety alarms and equipment

A personal alarm can help you live safely and independently at home. An alarm can support people with dementia, those with a physical or sensory impairment or people living with the threat of domestic violence.

A pendant alarm can be kept with you at all times if you need help - for example, if you have fallen.

The alarm has a fall and motion detector built-in, in case there is a lack of movement and you are unable to press the button yourself. 

Other alarms can be placed around the home to detect:

  • smoke
  • fire
  • flooding
  • carbon monoxide leaks

Sensors are placed around the home and connected to a base unit. If an alert is sent, an operator can speak to the person via the base unit and contact a family member or the emergency services, if needed.

If you don't have any family or friends close by, you can pay for a mobile response service to come if you need help. Our home response service is Local Solutions.

How to get an alarm

If you have eligible care needs

If you have eligible care needs and think a personal safety alarm would help you or someone you care to live more independently, we will need to do a care needs assessment.

To request an assessment, complete a care enquiry.

If you are living with the threat of domestic violence

If you need a personal safety alarm because you are living with the threat of domestic violence, contact Careline who will arrange a referral. [is this process correct? If so, this will link to a better generic careline form with dropdown for domestic violence - personal alarm]

What happens next?

We will contact you to arrange the next steps. If we think a personal alarm is suitable we will set a date for our provider, Riverside Group, to install the base unit and sensors.

Do I have to pay?

Alarm sensors are free, but there may be a weekly charge for the response centre monitoring the system. Is this correct or is everything free??