Independent financial advice

Many people who are eligible to receive support services from the council make a financial contribution towards the cost of the services they receive.

How much a person contributes is determined by a financial assessment where a member of the council’s income and assessment team will consider a person’s income, such as a pension, and their savings, as well as any other assets they might own, such as property.

There are several ways to pay for care. For example, people who have moved into residential care can, if they are eligible, have a deferred payment agreement. 

How you choose to contribute towards the cost of your care depends on your personal circumstances and personal choice. But as the population ages, more people will need some form of support and will want to plan ahead.

Finding a financial adviser

You might find it helpful to speak to a professional about your finances and what choices are available. These include charities and independent financial advisors (IFAs).

Sometimes you might have to pay a fee for advice - you should always ask about costs and payment options before you make your decision.

Liverpool City Council cannot give advice or recommend which organisations or IFAs you should approach. However, the following organisations offer guidance on how to find advice:

You can also search for local information on money matters on the Live Well directory.

The Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA)

SOLLA is a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to raising the standards of practice of financial advisers supporting older people.

It helps people find independent financial advisers who specialise in the financial needs of older people. The individual is SOLLA-accredited rather than the company.

You can search for local SOLLA-accredited advisers on the SOLLA website.

If you decide to use a financial adviser please make sure you conduct your own prudent checks.