Extra care housing

Extra care housing has been developed for older people who are less able to do everyday tasks for themselves.

You might also hear extra care housing called assisted living, very sheltered housing, or housing with care.

Extra care housing schemes consist of self-contained houses or flats that can be owned or rented. They differ from sheltered housing schemes in that there are also different care services available on site, such as domestic or personal care. There will also be communal facilities which could include lounges, a dining room or restaurant, or a laundry.

Before you move in to extra care housing, you will need to meet providers’ eligibility criteria, such as being aged at least 55 and having some care and support needs.

If you are interested in living in an extra care scheme you should call Careline in the first instance. However, please note that there is a lot of demand for extra care housing.

You can search for extra care housing providers on the Live Well directory.