Care at home

When you get older or if you have a disability you might need help with everyday tasks so that you can continue to live independently in your home. The tasks might include getting in and out of bed, getting washed and dressed, preparing meals, and going to the toilet.

Getting help with these tasks is called home care and would involve a professional home carer coming to support you at pre-arranged times.

To understand what kind of help you need we will do a care needs assessment.

To get a care needs assessment you or a family member should complete a support enquiry and a social worker will contact you to arrange the next steps.

About the assessment

The assessment will identify what element of home care will best suit your needs. The information we gather during it will help us create a care plan which is designed to meet your needs and help you to stay as independent as possible, for as long as possible.

If you are in hospital the medical staff will ask a hospital social care worker to talk to you. 

Do I need to pay for care at home?

After we complete the assessment, we will arrange a financial assessment to work out if you need to pay and how much.  We will also make sure you are receiving all the benefits that you are entitled to. See paying for care and support at home for more information.

Further help

If you don't qualify for a care package you can employ a care worker through a private agency. Be careful to choose an agency registered and inspected by the Care Quality Commission.

You can also visit the Live Well Directory, which provides information about other care and support services available in Liverpool.

The directory is also useful if you are looking for help with gardening or cleaning, or to find a handyperson to do some simple jobs in the home.