Occupational therapy equipment and adaptations for adults living at home

If you or a family member finds it difficult to manage day to day activities at home due to a physical, mental or sensory impairment, illness or old age, you can request an occupational therapy assessment.


Anyone over 18 living at home with care and support needs can request an assessment. A family member, carer, friend or professional can also do this on your behalf with your consent.

Depending on your reason for contact, your referral will either be sent to the Occupational Therapy Team or to our partner agency, Mobility Independent Living Service (MILS).

Please note, if you don’t wish to have an assessment and want to purchase equipment independently, you can go directly to MILS. Visit the MILS website to view equipment, prices and opening times.

You might also want to go directly to MILS if you just require small kitchen aids or walking aids, as an alternative to a full assessment.

Request an assessment

Read our privacy notice which tells you how we use your data.

Request an assessment

What happens next?

MILS referrals

If your referral is routed to MILS, they will contact you to discuss your requirements and recommend equipment to meet your needs. You will receive 10% off the cost of any of any low level equipment such as bathing equipment/toileting equipment. This offer excludes riser recliner chairs/scooters etc.

If they assess you and decide that you need more tailored support they will refer you back to us and we will contact you to arrange a full Occupational Therapy assessment.

Occupational Therapy referrals

If your referral is routed to the Occupational Therapy Team, we’ll do an assessment over the phone. We might be able to agree solutions and actions at this point.

But if we decide you need further support, we’ll place you on our waiting list for a home visit. If we identify your needs as urgent, we will prioritise your home assessment.

What happens during an Occupational Therapy home assessment?

The assessment is carried out by an Occupational Therapist or Occupational Therapy Assistant.

We will talk to you about your needs and the things that prevent you from doing the activities that you value. This includes the physical and psychological side as well as your health and social environment.

We’ll also ask if we can observe you doing day to day tasks, to help us identify possible solutions to maintain your independence.  This might include using stairs or steps, getting on and off a chair or toilet or getting in and out of bed, the bath or shower. We may use Technology to do this, for example WhatsApp, videos, etc.

We’ll create a care plan with you, focusing on the activities that have purpose and meaning to you.

Providing equipment such as raised toilet seats and bathing aids and minor adaptations such as grab rails, stair rails and steps are some of the things we might recommend.

We may also suggest community therapy referrals, access to wheelchair services or joint working between social care and other services.

If we don’t feel your needs have been met from adaptations or equipment, we may recommend a referral for major adaptations.

Do I need to pay?

There is no charge for the assessment or any advice that you receive from us or MILS.

For MILS referrals, you receive 10% off the cost of any low level equipment.

For Occupational Therapy referrals, some basic equipment and adaptations may be free.  However, if we identify the need for major adaptations or specialist equipment, this may be subject to a means test and landlord approval.

You may be entitled to a Disabled Facilities Grant to help with the costs of adapting your home.  We can discuss this in more detail during your assessment.