Representing someone who needs care and support

There may come a time when you need to become involved in making decisions about support and finances for somebody you care for. This will depend on if the person has mental capacity or not.

Making care decisions

If a person has the mental capacity to make decisions about their care and support, we can only give them support if they agree to it.

Even if you contact us on their behalf, we’ll still need to talk to them to check they agree with any decisions.

If you are concerned about them losing mental capacity in the future, you should talk to them about giving you power of attorney for health and welfare. This means you can make decisions for them in the future, if they are no longer able to make decisions for themselves.

If a person lacks mental capacity, you can make decisions for them if you:

If you do not have either of these, we will act in their best interests and make decisions to meet their needs.

Making financial decisions and paying for care

If a person has mental capacity and wants you to manage their money and how they pay for care, they can:

If a person lacks mental capacity, we can’t carry out a financial assessment or provide help to pay unless someone can legally represent them.

You can only make financial decisions for them if they have:

Making payment enquiries on behalf of someone

We cannot discuss payment enquiries on behalf of service users unless you have sent proof of authorisation to us or you are an appointee of the Department for Work and Pensions or represent a care home or homecare agency.

Proof of authorisation must be a copy of Power of Attorney or a letter of consent from the service user.

If you have already sent us proof of authorisation, you can make a care payment enquiry online.

If you wish to send us proof of authorisation, you can: