Get help for a relative or friend

How to get support for a family member or friend to help them live well and stay safe.

If a family member or friend has eligible support needs, you can ask for help.

It could be because they:

  • are getting older and need additional support
  • are recovering from severe illness or injury
  • have a physical or mental impairment
  • have mental health problems
  • have drug or alcohol problems

If you know the person well and have discussed the possibility of getting support, find out how to get help from adult social care.

Concerned about someone you do not know well?

If you are worried about a person over 18 who is not a relative or close friend, but you can see that they may need support, you can tell us.

It could be because:

  • there are signs of injury or mobility problems
  • they seem frail or confused
  • they are not looking after themselves as they normally would
  • they do not have family or friends nearby and you have not been able to make contact with them

Find out what to do about a vulnerable adult who might need support.