When you will get paid

If you make a new claim for Universal Credit you will not be paid for the first seven days. These days are known as waiting days.

Don’t let this stop you making your claim - apply as soon as you're entitled to do so as it can take up to six weeks after you claim for your first payment to reach your account.

The seventh day after you make your claim is the date of the month on which your Universal Credit payment will be paid each month. This is called your assessment date.

Universal Credit is paid monthly in arrears so you’ll have to wait one calendar month from your assessment date before your first UC payment is made. This is called your assessment period.

You then have to wait up to seven days for the payment to reach your bank account. This means it can take up to six weeks before you get your first payment.

If you've not got enough money to live on while you wait for your first payment, you can ask the DWP for an advance payment.

If you make a new claim for Universal Credit in December 2017, you will be able to get a 50% advance payment at the beginning of your claim and a second 50% advance payment in January 2018, before your first Universal Credit payment is made. You'll usually have to pay back an advance payment over 12 months rather than six months - your future monthly payments will be reduced while you pay the advance back.

If you're a private tenant, the DWP should give you the option of paying any housing costs element to your landlord when you make your Universal Credit claim. 

You can ask for an advance payment at any time from the day you claim until three working days before your assessment date.

Emergency help while you wait for your first payment

Emergency help may be available while you are waiting for your first Universal Credit payment, depending on your circumstances.

  • Emergency help with food, household necessities and utility costs from our Liverpool Citizens Support Scheme. This scheme is not intended to provide help with housing costs, debts, or to be an alternative to Universal Credit advance payments.
  • Food parcels from a foodbank - you will need a food bank voucher from a referral agency.

Once your Universal Credit is in payment, you can apply for a discretionary housing payment if your Universal Credit includes help with housing costs and you are struggling to pay your rent.

Come2gether logo