Who can claim Universal Credit

If you’re thinking of claiming benefits for the first time, you will need to apply for Universal Credit (UC). Whilst there are still some exceptions, the majority of new claims for benefit for working age customers will now have to be made to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

You cannot claim Universal Credit if you:

  • live in supported accommodation
  • are of Pension Credit age
  • receive Severe Disability Premium (SDP)

If you pay rent and do not live in supported accommodation, and you already receive or have applied for Universal Credit, please do not apply for Housing Benefit as your housing costs will be included in your Universal Credit payments.

Remember, you must still claim separately for Council Tax Support and Free School Meals as this is not included in your Universal Credit payment.

Further information

Come2gether logo