Housing Benefit

Who can claim?

Before making a new claim for Housing Benefit, please use the Citizens Advice eligibility checker to find out if you should be claiming Universal Credit instead.

If Universal Credit has been rolled out in your area, but you have three or more children, live in supported accommodation or are of Pension Credit age you should apply for Housing Benefit instead.

If Universal Credit has not yet been rolled out in your area, you could get Housing Benefit to pay all or part of your rent if you’re unemployed or on a low income and live in:

  • A council property.
  • Private rented accommodation.
  • A hostel.
  • Housing association accommodation.

If you pay rent and already receive or have applied for Universal Credit, please do not apply for Housing Benefit as your housing costs will be included in your Universal Credit payments.

How much can I claim?

The amount of Housing Benefit due to you is worked out by looking at:

  • How much money you have coming in.
  • Your circumstances and the amount of rent you have to pay.
  • The amount of savings you have - more than £16,000 will normally disqualify you (unless you qualify for Pension Credit Guarantee Credit).

Our online application form has a built in calculator which provides you with an estimate of how much Housing Benefit you might be entitled to. You will be notified of your actual award when your claim has been processed.

You can also use one of two independent benefit calculators hosted on .gov.uk to check if there are any other benefits and tax credits you may be entitled to.

How to apply

Before you apply please have the following to hand:

  • A National Insurance number for you (and your partner if you have one).
  • The full names and dates of birth of everyone living in your household.
  • Your landlord’s name, the amount of rent you pay and any charges included in your rent, e.g. water or electricity.
  • Your household income, savings, investments and expenses – including items such as childcare costs and private pension contributions.

You can also use this form to claim Council Tax Support

You need to complete a separate online application form for free school meals.

Before you apply please be sure to note the following:

  • Once you have filled in the form, and before you submit your application, you will be given a list of all the evidence you need to keep which supports your claim. Please print or copy and keep this list – it’s important that you have a record of it.

  • You only need to provide proof of identity if we write to you and ask for it.

Apply for Housing Benefit online

How do I log back into my form?

If you have saved your form and want to log back in, please use the button below. You will need to have your reference number and your password to access your form.

Log back in to your saved Housing Benefit application

What can I do if my claim is refused?

If you are not happy with our decision about your claim for Housing Benefit, you can make an appeal.

Tell us about a change in circumstance

If you are in the process of applying for Housing Benefit, or already receive it, we need to know if your circumstances change straight away as it could affect what you are entitled to. Find out more.

Come2gether logo