Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support helps you pay some of your Council Tax if you are on a low income or claiming certain benefits.

Can I claim?

You can claim whether you own your home or rent, or whether you’re working or unemployed.

To qualify, you must be:

  • on a low income
  • the person responsible for paying the Council Tax

How much am I entitled to?

The amount you get will depend on your age, income and savings, who else lives with you and which benefits you receive.

The maximum amount of Council Tax Support you can receive is:

  • 5% of the Council Tax bill if you are of working age
  • up to 100% of the Council Tax bill if you are of pensionable age

When you apply, we will give you an estimate based on what you have told us. We will let you know what your actual award is once we have processed your claim.

How to apply

You can apply online for Council Tax Support. 

Things we need to know when you apply:

  • National Insurance number for you (and your partner if applicable)
  • Full name and dates of birth of everyone in your household.
  • Your household income, savings, investments and expenses – including things like childcare costs and private pension contributions.

You can save your application and return to it at any time – we will ask you to create a password and remember your reference number as you’ll need these to log back in.

When you have filled in the claim form, and before you submit it, you will see a list of all the evidence you need to keep which supports your claim. Please print or copy this list as it’s important that you have a record of it. Please note, you only need to provide proof of identity if we write to you and ask for it.

Apply or login

What happens next?

We will look at the details you have provided to work out your claim. We will let you know within 10 working days.

If you are not happy with our decision about your claim or you think the information is wrong, please get in touch and ask us to review it.

If you are still not satisfied or you haven’t received a response from us within two months, you can appeal by writing to The Valuation Tribunal, Hepworth House, 2 Trafford Court, Doncaster, DN1 1PN.

If your circumstances change

If your circumstances change please tell us as it could affect what you are entitled to.