Second adult rebate

Second adult rebate reduces the amount of Council Tax you have to pay.

You can get it if you are single and pay Council Tax but share your home with another adult who is on a low income and does not pay rent.

Can I claim?

You might want to claim second adult rebate if you can’t get Council Tax Support because your income or capital is too high. 

You can claim it if you have another adult living with you who:

  • is 18 or over
  • is not your husband, wife, partner or civil partner
  • does not have joint responsibility with you for paying Council Tax
  • does not have to pay rent
  • is not a joint owner or joint tenant of the property
  • is not a licensee of the property
  • has income below a certain amount, or who gets certain benefits
  • is not someone who is ‘not counted’ when we work out the number of people living in a property for Council Tax purposes. For example, a full time student.

How much am I entitled to?

The amount of rebate you get depends on the income of the adult living with you and any benefits they receive. 

You can’t get second adult rebate and Council Tax Support. If you qualify for both we will award you the higher amount.

How to apply

Apply for Council Tax Support and we will work out whether you should receive second adult rebate or Council Tax Support.

What happens next?

We will look at the details you have provided to work out your claim. We will let you know within 10 working days.

If your circumstances change

If your circumstances change please tell us as it could affect what you are entitled to.