When attending court, there are certain rules and etiquette that you must follow.
- When addressing the Coroner you must address them appropriately which is Sir for a male Coroner and Ma’am or Madam for a female.
- There is no formal dress code, however the court asks for attendees to dress smart casual and to not wear any clothing that may cause offence, or be disrespectful.
- You must stand whenever a coroner enters the court room and when they leave.
You must behave appropriately in court - if you do not you can be held in contempt of court, which includes:
- Disobeying or ignoring a court order
- Taking photos or shouting out in court
- Refusing to answer the court’s questions if you’re called as a witness
If you are found to be in contempt of court, you can be removed from the court room, fined or imprisoned. In some circumstances you may be prosecuted.