Marriages and civil partnerships
Church of England
Providing you are both British, EU or Swiss nationals and you are planning to marry in the Church of England, you should contact the vicar for advice on the legal requirements for marriage and fees.
If either party is a national of a country outside of the EU, you will be required to give notice of marriage.
Weddings at other religious buildings
If you are planning to marry in a church or religious building (that is not the Church of England) you should:
- Arrange to see the person in charge of marriages at the building.
- Live in the same district as the church or religious building.
- Give notice of marriage at your local register office.
You can only be married in a church in a different district from where you both live if:
- One or both parties usually worship in that building.
- There is no church of your religion in the district where you or the person you are marrying lives.
Signing the marriage register
After your wedding ceremony you will be asked to sign the register. Please ensure you read the information recorded carefully before signing the register. Any request to change or update information will be subject to a charge of up to £90.00 depending on the error. In some cases it will not be possible to change information recorded. If you wish to amend any information recorded in the register please discuss this directly with the Register Office.