Land and property
Liverpool's local land charges register has moved
- From 3rd September 2018, Liverpool's local land charges register has been transferred to HM Land Registry.
- We will continue to accept requests for Con29 searches after the move.
Local authority searches
Land charges search
When buying a property or piece of land, your solicitor will submit a local land charges search which will show whether there are any legal restrictions affecting the land or property.
The council will investigate any restrictions and bring all the information together in the form of a local authority search. The information is collected from different council departments including planning and building control, environmental health and transportation.
Types of searches
There are three types of searches:
Local Land Charges search
This consists of a search of the Local Land Charges Register. It reveals if there are any outstanding charges such as financial ones where money is owed to the council when work has been carried out on the property or land.
Other charges include tree preservation orders, renovation grants, conservation and listed buildings, road agreements, conditional planning applications and enforcement notices.
From 3rd September 2018 Local Land Charges searches can be obtained from HM Land Registry at a cost of £15.
This is a questionnaire and the information comes from various council departments. It contains Part 1 standard questions revealing any road proposals or schemes, compulsory purchase orders, enforcement actions, building regulations or planning applications and formal/informal notices.
It also contains Part 2 optional enquiries such as public paths, noise abatement orders and pollution notices.
Anyone can make a personal search. You must make an appointment to carry out a personal search. Please contact 0151 233 3021.
It is a self serve system located in Garston One Stop Shop and Library, Bowden Road, L19 1QN and available data includes:
- Planning and building control.
How to submit a local authority search
Online via the National Land Information Service (NLIS)
This service aims to speed up the conveyancing process by the use of electronic online transactions. It connects law firms, conveyancers and data providers such as HM Land Registry and local authority local land charges registries.
You can send your request to Liverpool City Council, Local Searches, Cunard Building, Water Street, L3 1AH, enclosing the following documents:
- Two copies of the plan. Please mark clearly the outline of the area to be searched in red. It is crucial that the plan also shows the surrounding roads and properties.
- Form CON29 in duplicate.
- The correct fee (see below). Please note that search requests will be returned if the fee submitted is incorrect.
For environmental health information, you should contact 0151 233 3055. They should allow access to data within five working days of receiving the property details.
If you have any queries you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0151 233 0301. Please note that there may be a cost to providing any information but we will advise you of this at the time of your enquiry.
- Local Land Charges searches can be obtained from HM Land Registry at a cost of £15.
- CON 29R - £72 (£60 + £12 VAT)
- Common land search (Question 22) - £6 (£5 + £1 VAT)
- Part 2 enquiries (additional questions/options enquiries Question 4 to Question 22 - £6 per enquiry (£5 + £1 VAT)
- Personal search - No charge
Cheques should be made payable to Liverpool City Council or you can pay online for a CON29R.