Apply for a Landlord Licence

Landlord Licensing - Liverpool's Selective Licensing Scheme

Anyone who rents a property out to tenants in Liverpool must have a Landlord Licence. The property owner or managing agent must make sure this licence is valid at all times.

Under the current scheme, licences run until March 2020. If you need to change the name of the licence holder before then, you will need to apply and pay for a new licence. We cannot transfer a licence.

If five or more people live in the property you may need to apply for an HMO Licence not a Landlord Licence. Find out more about HMO licences.

How to apply online

All applicants must create an account in our licensing and regulation portal using the button below. Once you have registered your account, go to ‘Apply for a licence’ in the left-hand menu. Be sure to select the right type of licence for you:

  • New applicants should select ‘Selective Licence – initial’.
  • To apply for additional licences please select ‘Selective Licence – additional property licence’. You can copy a previous application to save time.
  • Members of our co-regulation scheme should select ‘Selective Licence – co-regulation’ for the discounted fee. Find out more about discounts and exemptions.

Read our privacy notice which tells you how we use your data.

Create an account and apply for a Landlord Licence

How much?

We will process your application when we have received your initial payment.

We will ask you for the final payment of 14 days after we grant your licence. If we don’t receive this payment we will cancel your licence. We can only accept online payments for online applications. 


See our 'Fees discount and exemptions' page for information on fees.

Apply by post

If you want an application form posted to you, you will need pay a £30 charge upfront. Additional copies sent out at the same time will cost £10 each. 

Please contact with the property address and your receipt number once you have paid, using the button below. A form will not be sent out without this payment. 

Read our privacy notice which tells you how we use your data.

Pay for a paper form

Completed application forms must be returned by email to or posted to:

Landlord Licensing
Cunard Building
Water Street
L3 1AH 

Landlord licensing logos