Vehicle specifications and approved testing stations
Approved MOT testing stations
Guidance for Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
Liverpool City Council’s Designated Vehicle List shows all licensed vehicles which are able to carry a designated reference wheelchair - the dimensions of which are set by the DfT.
View the list of all approved Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (updated 23rd January 2020)
- All drivers of designated list vehicles are required to do a dynamic risk assessment to ensure the customers and driver combined do not exceed the maximum ramp facility for that vehicle.
- The Hackney Carriage meter must not be engaged prior to the passenger being secured correctly into the vehicle, likewise the hackney carriage meter must be put on stopped prior to the safe removal of the passenger from the vehicle.
- Private hire vehicles, drivers and operators are not allowed to charge more for the carriage of a wheelchair using passenger than they would for carrying an ambulant or able-bodied passenger.
- If you are not capable of assisting wheelchair-using passengers to enter and alight then you must download the exemption application and take it to your GP’s Surgery. Any cost associated with the application is your responsibility.
How to load wheelchairs
The following links are to videos that show how to load manual and electric wheelchairs.
- LTI/LTC TX1 TX2 TX4 - manual wheelchair loading
- LTI/LTC TX1 TX2 TX4 - electric wheelchair loading
- LEVC E-City - manual wheelchair Loading
- Ford Tourneo Pro Cab - Manual wheelchair Loading
- Peugeot E7 Manual Wheel Chair Loading
- Metro Cab Manual Wheel Chair Loading
- Mercedes M8 Manual Wheel Chair Loading
What vehicle should I buy?
If you are considering buying a new vehicle to use as a Hackney cab, please be aware that that we only licence the following vehicles once they have been given European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval.
- LTC TX1, TX 2, TX4 and Fairway.
- Voyager MPV Renault NX8 (short and long wheel base).
- Allied vehicles Mercedes M8 (short and long wheel base).
- Penso Mercedes Vito Taxi (short and long wheel base).
For further information, please read our detailed vehicle specifications below.
These specifications are unique to Liverpool and will differ to those published by other authorities. For further help and advice please contact us.
- Voyager MPV Renault NX8.
- Allied vehicles Mercedes M8 and Penso Mercedes Vito Taxi (short and long wheel base)