Caravan and camp site licences

If you allow your land to be used as a camping site by the public for more than 42 days consecutively or for 60 days in a year, you will need a licence.

How to apply

Read our privacy notice which tells you how we use your data.

Apply online

There is no charge. 

The licence may have conditions attached, which you can view on the Legislation website.


You can appeal against a condition attached to the licence by contacting us. If you are still not satisfied you can appeal through the local magistrates court. 

Will tacit consent apply?

No.  We must process your application before the licence can be granted.  If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, you should contact us.

You do not need a caravan or camping site licence for the following:

  • A caravan kept within the grounds of a house. To be exempt from needing a licence, the caravan cannot be occupied separately to the house.
  • A single caravan sited in the same place for no more than two consecutive nights, up to a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Up to three caravans on a site of no less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations, such as the Caravan Club.
  • Sites of up to five caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only.
  • Sites for temporary purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites, and travelling salesmen.
  • A site for tents will be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.