Apply for a new licence - step by step
New tax regulations come into force on 4th April 2022
From 4th April 2022 you must complete a tax check to renew a taxi, private hire, taxi operator or scrap metal licence, or to apply for the same type of licence with a different licensing authority. We will not be able to process your application without your tax check code. Find out how to complete a tax check on GOV.UK
5. Get a medical certificate
All drivers must provide a medical certificate when they are applying for a new licence - please take this to the appointment when your pick up your licence.
Download the form
Applicants who are renewing a licence
You will need to produce a medical certificate if you have turned 45, 50, 55, 60 or 65 years of age since your last application or will turn 45, 50, 55, 60 or 65 during the period your next licence will be valid for. We will let you know if this is the case.
Drivers over 65 will need a medical every year. We will notify you when your medical is due.
Doctors will charge you for this service and fees vary. Please use the form below and take it to your doctor.
Medical issues which may affect your application
If you suffer from any of the medical disorders outlined below, your application
could be affected – please contact us for further guidance.
- Neurological disorders - Epilepsy, blackouts, narcolepsy and sleep disorders, Multiple Sclerosis/Parkinson’s disease, cerebrovascular disease.
- Diabetes - IDD and NIDD.
- Psychiatric disorders - neuroses, psychosis, dementia.
- Alcohol misuse or dependence - this includes anyone who has committed a drink drive offence or has suffered seizures associated with alcohol misuse or dependence.
- Respiratory disorders - sleep apnoea syndrome, cough syncope.
- Visual disorders - poor vision, lack of peripheral vision, monocular vision.
Who do I show the certificate to?
Once you have submitted your application online form, you will receive an email from email@example.com which lists all the documents you must send to us via their document upload service. This includes all 13 pages of your medical certificate.