Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

SEN advice and self help

Advice and guidance on the SEN process

We understand that not all parents feel the need to speak to us directly, and would prefer to find out as much as they can themselves about SEN and what it might mean for your child. The following advice and guidance notes may help if your child has SEN or you suspect that they do.

School based support - Identifying SEN

All schools have a duty to adapt the curriculum to the needs of individual children. This is known as differentiation. If your child learns more slowly or in a different way from other children the school can set different work or try different teaching strategies. I

If you are concerned about your child’s progress it is important to talk to the school at an early stage. Find out more from the Advisory Centre for Education's website

Statutory Assessment

In a small number of cases, the local authority may carry out a Statutory Assessment. You can request this assessment if you or the school still feel that your child is still not making enough progress as other children the same age.


Depending on the outcome of the assessment, you will receive a EHC Plan of SEN guidance, followed by a final statement of SEN, which will detail the extra help that your child will receive. Or, you will receive a Note in Lieu if the authority feels that your child's needs can be met without a statement.