Safe working and test and trace guidance
Trading as a food business
What safety measures are needed?
It is very unlikely that coronavirus is transmitted by food but any food handler who has symptoms should follow government advice and stay at home.
In addition, to minimise any risk to staff and customers, you must:
- disinfect food preparation surfaces regularly using EN14476 standard virucidal disinfectants - view advice on cleaning on GOV.UK
- put strict social distance measures in place
- carry out a Covid-19 risk assessment – see our staff and customer safety page
We also suggest that you review your pest control measures. Find a British Pest Control Association pest controller.
Guidance and help
The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) has published resources on food delivery and takeaway, signage, handwashing and Legionnaires’ disease.
In addition, links to government guidance are listed below.
- Guidance for restaurants offering takeaway or delivery during the Covid-19 outbreak on GOV.UK
- Advice for food businesses during the Covid-19 outbreak on GOV.UK
- Advice on reopening your food business during Covid-19 on food.gov.uk
If you need any additional help and advice after reading this guidance, please contact us.