Our Liverpool: refugees, people seeking asylum and vulnerable migrants
Support for Ukrainians who come to Liverpool
Find out what support is on offer for people fleeing Ukraine and the sponsors who host them in Liverpool.
What is the Homes for Ukraine scheme?
Homes for Ukraine is a government-run scheme that allows UK residents to offer a self-contained property or spare room to people fleeing the war in Ukraine.
Guests from Ukraine and their Liverpool sponsors are offered local support from us, the local council.
What support is offered to sponsors?
When you join the scheme as a sponsor, one of our refugee hosting coordinators will contact you. They can:
- help you while local authority checks are carried out
- provide regular updates about the scheme
- act as a mediator between you and your guests, if needed
- make sure your £350 monthly host payment is set up
In addition, the guidance below may also be useful.
- Homes for Ukraine scheme FAQS - GOV.UK
- Homes for Ukraine sponsor guidance - GOV.UK
- City of Sanctuary UK - resources for potential hosts
- The No Accommodation Network good practice guide to hosting
- Sponsor toolkit from Reset the government-endorsed matching service
Newsletter and information sessions
We hold information sessions every month for sponsors - we will email you with details of the next sessions.
We will also send you a e-newsletter each fortnight. This will include:
- scheme updates
- details of local activities and initiatives for you and your guests
- other useful information for sponsors
You can be removed from the e-newsletter subscription list any time, just email us at email@example.com.
What is the Ukraine Family Scheme?
This scheme allows applicants to join family members in the UK. It is free to apply. Find out how to apply for a Ukraine Family Scheme visa on GOV.UK.
What is the Ukraine Extension Scheme?
You can apply for this scheme if one of the following is true:
- you held permission to be in the UK on or between 18th March 2022 and 16th May 2023 – the permission does not need to cover the whole period
- you previously held permission to be in the UK and that permission expired on or after 1st January 2022
This route does not require a UK-based sponsor. Find out how to apply to the Ukraine Extension Scheme on GOV.UK.
Support for guests from Ukraine
Once a Ukrainian guest arrives in Liverpool, they can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for their arrival payment and information about settling in Liverpool.
Available resources include guidance for people from Ukraine living in the UK on GOV.UK. This is also available in Ukrainian on GOV.UK.
In addition, the links below may be useful.
- School admissions in Liverpool
- Children's centres in Liverpool
- Apply for social housing in Liverpool
- Help with finding a job
- Benefits advice and support
- Merseycare social inclusion team
- Help to Claim Universal Credit - Citizen’s Advice
- Barnardos’ free helpline for families and children from Ukraine
- Sane Ukraine online trauma and resilience support sessions
- LiveWell directory list of food pantries
- LifeRooms Pathways advice service
- Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme visa data by country - GOV.UK
- Extending your stay in the UK - GOV.UK
If you need any further help please email email@example.com. Please note that we cannot help with out of hours emergencies via email - you should contact Careline for adults or Careline for children out of hours, depending on your concern.
Call 999 in the event of a medical emergency, police or fire service matter.