Discounts and exemptions
Council Tax discount for carers
If you qualify as a carer, we can reduce your bill by 25% or 50% depending on how many people aged 18 or over live in your property and whether those people are counted for Council Tax purposes.
- If all but one resident is not counted, we’ll reduce your Council Tax bill by 25%.
- If all residents in the property aren’t counted, we’ll reduce your Council Tax bill by 50%.
You are eligible for this discount if all of the following applies to you:
- You live at the same property as the person receiving care.
- The person you care for is over 18.
- You provide care for at least 35 hours a week.
- The person you care for is not your spouse or partner.
- The person you care for receives any of the following benefits:
- Middle or higher rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance.
- Daily living component of Personal Independence Payment at any rate.
- Attendance Allowance at any rate.
- Armed Forces Independence payment.
- Highest rate of Constant Attendance Allowance.
You do not have to claim Carer’s Allowance to qualify for this discount, and your income and savings will not affect your eligibility.
If there is more than one carer in the property, all can be classed as carers providing they meet the criteria above.
How to apply
Apply online. You’ll be prompted to upload proof of benefit for the person you care for. The file size should not exceed 9MB in total. You can submit your application without this, but you will need to provide it before we make our decision.
Start application [link to carers discount form]
What happens next?
We’ll check the details you’ve provided and verify any information with other council services or third parties if relevant.
If we need further information to support your application, such as proof of benefit, we’ll contact you.
We aim to respond to you within 14 working days with our decision. However, if we need further information from you this may delay the application.