Single person discount

A Council Tax bill is based on two or more adults living in a property as their main home. If only one person over 18 lives in the property, we’ll reduce your Council Tax by 25%.

If there is more than one adult in the property, and all but one are not counted for Council Tax purposes - for example, a full time student - the council taxpayer will still qualify for a 25% discount. However, this would not be a single person discount, but a student disregard.

You can only claim a single person discount for your main home. You cannot claim it for a second home.

If someone who normally lives with you is temporarily away from home, for example working away or on holiday and only comes back occasionally, your property still counts as that person’s main home and you wouldn’t be eligible for single person discount in these circumstances.

How to apply

To apply for single person discount, the Council Tax bill for the property must be in your name and you’ll need your Council Tax reference number to hand. 

You’ll be asked to provide details of who is no longer resident at that address, why they have moved and where they are now living, if relevant. If you don’t provide all of the necessary information, we may refuse your application.

You can apply online no more than seven days before you become the sole resident, and up to 60 days after. If you became the sole resident over 60 days ago, please contact us instead. [link to council tax enquiry form]

Before you start: please read the revenues service privacy notice which tells you how we use your data.

Use the button below and select ‘Start’ under the ‘Council Tax Notification’ heading. 

Apply for single person discount [link to citizen access]

What happens next?

We aim to process your discount within xxx days and we’ll send you a revised bill showing your payment schedule.

If your circumstances change

If you are no longer the only person aged 18 or over living at the property you must cancel your entitlement to single person discount. If you don’t you could be fined £70.

To cancel a single person discount, use the button below and select ‘Start’ under the ‘Council Tax Notification’ heading.

Cancel a single person discount [link to citizen access]