Council Tax energy rebate

The government has announced support to help with rising energy bills including a one-off payment of £150 to households in Council Tax bands A to D and a discretionary fund for residents in higher band properties.

You will not need to pay it back and it will not be treated as income for tax or benefit purposes. You will only be entitled to one £150 payment per household.  Find out more about the rebate on GOV.UK.

Who qualifies?

You must be liable for Council Tax and live in a property within Council Tax bands A to D on 1st April 2022. This includes property that is valued in band E, but has an alternative valuation band D as a result of the disabled band reduction scheme.

It must be your sole or main residence - Second homes and empty properties are not eligible for this rebate.

It must be a chargeable dwelling, or in the following exemption classes:

  • N - wholly occupied by students
  • S - wholly occupied by residents under 18
  • U - occupied by residents who are severely mentally impaired
  • W - one of two dwellings in a single property occupied by a dependant relative of a person living in another dwelling in the property

The person who is liable to pay the Council Tax (or would be were the property not exempt) is not a local authority, a corporate body or other body such as a housing association, the government or governmental body.

Read our privacy notice to find out how we collect, store and process your data in order to deliver this service.

How and when will I be paid?

If you pay by Direct Debit

We expect to pay the rebate into your bank account during May if you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit. You do not need to apply for the energy rebate.

If you do not pay by Direct Debit

If you do not pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit, we will write to you during May and June. The letter will provide details of how you can apply online for an energy rebate payment. You will be asked to provide bank details to receive the payment. Alternatively you can choose to have it paid on to your Council Tax account.

Discretionary fund

If your property is not eligible for the £150 rebate because it is in Council Tax bands E to H, there may be help available through a discretionary fund.

We will provide more information on the criteria for the discretionary fund in the coming weeks.

Check your Council Tax band

You can check your Council Tax band online on GOV.UK or on your annual bill which will be sent to you in March 2022.