Consultation and engagement
Consultation on Liverpool active travel - from temporary to permanent
Start date: Friday 18th November 2022
End date: Friday 13th January 2023
What are we consulting on?
In 2020, in the early stages of the pandemic, emergency active travel measures were implemented around the country to help encourage people to take more exercise. In Liverpool, this was mainly undertaken on three corridors in the city – Vauxhall Road, West Derby Road and Sefton Park to the city centre. View a plan of the Vauxhall Road, West Derby Road and Sefton Park active travel corridors.
These temporary facilities are now mainly in a poor state of repair and are no longer fit for purpose. The decision now needs to be made to:
- repair the existing facilities with new temporary measures - these repairs are likely to degrade very quickly
- remove the temporary active travel measures in their entirety - this would likely not be perceived favourably by both the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority and Central Government which could jeopardise future active travel funding bids
- replace the temporary facilities with permanent arrangements designed to comply with latest guidance - these will last for many years, be easy to maintain and will be a key contributor to developing the network of quality active travel facilities throughout the city
We are therefore proposing to undertake comprehensive consultation events on the concept design proposals to upgrade the three temporary active travel corridors to become fully compliant permanent schemes.
Improvements proposed to the corridors will include:
- fully segregated cycle lanes where traffic flows make these necessary
- upgrades to footways to improve surfacing and provide pedestrian priority across side roads
- new road crossing facilities to remove barriers to movement
- wayfinding signage
- new landscaping and an improved public realm, where it is practical
- consistent treatment for where the cycle lanes interact with bus stops
- upgrades to signal controlled junctions to allow safer movement of cyclists and pedestrians without compromising traffic capacity
For further information, download the leaflet below.
How to comment
We would like to hear your views on this proposal. Please fill in our quick online survey using the button below.
What happens to my views?
We ask for your details on the survey so we can contact you to discuss your comments if we need to. Your comments may be included in the consultation report given to committee and published on this website, but your name and details will not appear next to them.
All comments will be kept solely for the purposes of this consultation and will be destroyed 12 months after it closes.
What happens next?
A consultation report providing your feedback will be produced by the 10th February 2023.
Public feedback sessions will be held next week for each route:
- West Derby Road: Tuesday 22nd November 4pm-8pm: Victory Outreach, 122 Sheil Rd, Liverpool L6 7UA
- Vauxhall Road: Wednesday 23rd November 4pm-8pm: Vauxhall Neighbourhood Council, 1-3, Off St Augustine St, Silvester St, Liverpool L5 8YD
- Sefton Park: Thursday 24th November 4pm-8pm: Sefton Park Community Association, 3 Croxteth Dr, Liverpool L17 3AG
- Vauxhall Road: Wednesday 30th November, 4pm-8pm: Kirkdale Neighbourhood Community Centre, 238A Stanley Rd, Kirkdale, Liverpool L5 7QP
Two further sessions will be held the following week at Liverpool Central Library, where all three routes will be up for discussion on:
- Saturday 26th November – 10am-2pm
- Tuesday 29th November– 4pm-8pm
If you have any questions about this consultation, please email email@example.com with 'Active travel consultation' in the subject line. However, please be sure to also use the online survey to register your views on the proposals.