Jobs & training
Equality and diversity
The city of Liverpool has a long history of championing equality and diversity. Our people are at the heart of what we do and who we are and we want you to be part of that journey.
We are working hard to ensure that the council is inclusive in recruitment, retention, support, and progression. We know that having a workforce that reflects the communities we serve brings a wider range of experiences, views, ideas, and innovations.
We are committed to providing an environment that recognises, respects, and values everybody’s identity, where individual differences are strengths and where everyone can thrive and maximise their potential to succeed. One of the aims at the heart of our equality objectives is to be a fair and inclusive employer. We are dedicated to welcoming colleagues from under-represented backgrounds and communities at all levels of the Council, ensuring that we have a workforce with the skills, abilities and confidence to deliver inclusion both at work and across the wider community.
There are lots of ways we support our staff including:
- Staff Diversity Forum which progresses inclusion for staff. Members have personal experience of equality issues and work collectively to ensure opportunities are increased and discrimination prevented.
- Staff focus groups are the opportunity for staff to air views, ask questions, express concerns and share ideas to make Liverpool City Council a better place to work.
- Family friendly policies to help staff achieve a good work-life balance.
- Financial assistance to support disabled staff.
- A range of equality, diversity and inclusion training.
We are committed to having a workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. We are an Equal Opportunities Employer and believe that the decision to appoint should be based upon whether an individual’s skills, experience, qualifications, and abilities make them the most suitable candidate for the role. All applications for jobs in the service of the Authority will receive equal treatment irrespective of their race, gender, marital status, age, disability, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status.
As a Disability Confident Committed Employer we have committed we will ensure that disabled applicants are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.