Ropewalks STEP Scheme
Approximate start: Summer 2020
Approximate end: Spring 2021
Our vision is to improve the safety and functionality of this bohemian heart of Liverpool, and help enhance the thriving day and night time economies bursting with music, art and culture.
The Ropewalks STEP Scheme will be split into two phases:
- Phase 1 – Wood Street, Fleet Street, Slater Street, Colquitt Street.
- Phase 2 – Bold Street and Seel Street.
Funding of £4.5m has been secured for Phase 1 which is part of Liverpool City Region’s Sustainable Transport Enhancement Package (STEP). Growth Deals has provided £3m funding.
As part of the proposals there are opportunities to improve the area:
- upgrading the pavements and roads
- installing new and improved seating, bike racks, bins and lighting
- improving safety for pedestrians and cyclists
- reversing the one-way traffic system on Seel Street, running from Gradwell Street to Berry Street
- closing Seel Street between Colquitt Street and Slater Street at night time
It is anticipated that our proposals will reduce the amount of traffic collisions, improve the connections to and around this area of Liverpool, and support and help attract future investment.