Liverpool City Centre Connectivity Scheme - Phase One
Start date: Summer/Autumn 2018.
End date: Autumn/Winter 2021.
It’s estimated that in the ten-year period running up to 2023 the number of people visiting, living and working in Liverpool’s city centre will have grown 25%.
With this in mind, this scheme will focus on making walking and cycling the first choice for short journeys in the city centre. The work will also reduce car and bus traffic and make it easier and more enjoyable to get about.
Phase One of the scheme is made up of eight projects in the following areas:
- Lime Street: Creating a new gateway into the city from Liverpool Lime Street Station and a new events space for St George’s Plateau.
- Victoria Street and Tithebarn Street: Enhancing the area for public use and improving connectivity through the city by introducing a new cycle link between Lime Street and the Waterfront.
- Brownlow Hill: Enhancing the area for public use and introducing of new cycle link from Liverpool Lime Street to the Knowledge Quarter.
- Moorfields: Improving the footways and introducing new trees to enhance the area and the entrance into Moorfields Station.
- City Bus Hub: Creating a new bus layover with welfare facilities in Old Haymarket for buses leaving Queen Square bus station so reducing congestion and pollution in the city centre.
- City Coach Park: Building an off-street parking facility and rest area for coach drivers.
- Canning Dock Bridges: Building four new bridges to link Salthouse Quay with Mann Island and opening up land for future development.
- The Strand: Improving links for pedestrians and cyclists between the city centre shopping areas and the waterfront leisure district by reassigning existing road space along The Strand.
Two public information events were held on Wednesday 7th and Thursday 8th March 2018 where the latest proposals were discussed.
A public consultation on this scheme was also carried out between Tuesday 11th October and Friday 14th October 2016. Public and stakeholder meetings were held in the city during this period and we had 838 responses to our online consultation survey.
- LCSS - Phase One (Lime St to The Strand)